By The Associated Press
On Friday, Samsung previewed its quarterly financial report and said it expected record earnings thanks to smartphones. Samsung will later issue its full earnings report, as will several other technology companies including Google Inc. over the next several weeks.
Here is a summary of recent earnings and reports for selected technology companies and what they reveal about the state of spending and the overall economy:
- Friday: Samsung Electronics Co. estimates its second-quarter operating profit at 6.5 trillion won to 6.9 trillion won ($5.7 billion to $6.1 billion), a 79 percent jump from a year earlier based on the midpoint of that range. Analysts say the sharp rise in operating profit was driven by the success of its Galaxy line of smartphones. However, Samsung's stock fell as lower-than-expected overall sales underlined the threat from Europe's economic malaise.
- July 17: Intel Corp., Yahoo Inc.
- July 18: IBM Corp., eBay Inc.
- July 19: Microsoft Corp., Advanced Micro Devices Inc., Verizon Communications Inc.
- July 24: Apple Inc., AT&T Inc., Netflix Inc.
- July 26: Facebook Inc., Sprint Nextel Corp.
- Aug. 1: Comcast Corp.
- Aug. 2: Sony Corp.
- Aug. 15: Cisco Systems Inc.
- Aug. 21: Dell Inc.
- Aug. 22: Hewlett-Packard Co.
- Sept. 27: Research In Motion Ltd.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.