SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Firefighters were called to a structure fire Monday evening at Mission and Walnut.
Fire officials say a man was cooking dinner in the upper level apartment when the grease he was cooking with caught fire and exploded. The man tried to put the flames out with baking soda, but the fire spread to the walls and cabinets. The man got everyone out of his apartment and the one below and called 911.
The fire was contained by companies to the second floor kitchen area. Trucks opened up the roof quickly & prevented extension.
There were no injuries to report, minimal smoke and water damage to downstairs apartment and damage to the kitchen and attic area in the upstairs apartment. The Red Cross is helping out 7 adults, 1 child and 3 dogs who have been affected by the fire.